Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Can we freak out now?


Okay, we've been pretty calm through this whole thing.  In March when we found out we had three viable embryos to nurture, we went to Perkins and sorted things out over some buttermilk pancakes and eggs.  Everything was calm, we were very positive and really, the pancakes were excellent.  

Fast forward to the last ultrasound when we were pulling for all three, hoping that all was well.  It was, and still is as far as we know.  Still, everything was pretty calm, and we were more concerned with finding ways to keep Kelly from feeling the 'pukies' coming on than we were actually getting prepared for anything.  

So as I pondered things in my luxurious cubicle this morning I decided putting each week of the pregnancy on my work calendar would be a good idea.  I did so and was careful to take note of any possible travel conflicts that may occur later in the pregnancy.  At the precise moment I entered in 'Week 28' on September 2 it hit me that this whole deal is coming way (sorry, I meant WAY) faster than I thought.  

What we've learned is that after 25 weeks, all bets are off with labor.  We are hoping to get to 32 weeks, which would be roundabouts Sept 30.  Quick math: 32 weeks - 13 weeks (now) = 19 weeks to attempt and prepare for our little life-changers.  

 I suppose it's all how you look at it - 19 weeks to get ready for three doesn't seem like much time, but 19 weeks doing something else, like, uh Guantanamo would seem like a lot.  I'll take my chances with our offspring.  

Of course we have a list of things to organize, buy and learn in 19 weeks.  How insignificant everything else seems (mostly work) compared to getting ready for this.  I apologize in advance to my co-workers for any erratic behavior that may come in the weeks ahead.  Can I get a witness here?  

I actually rode the Quota tonight to clear my mind after getting rattled by the rapidly approaching due date.  Makes me miss having Kelly on the back, which she most certainly won't be doing any time soon.  Check out that motorcycle momma! 



This was en route to Elkader, IA in 2005 from Cary, IL where my sis used to live.  Kelly was a trouper, and yes, that is all our stuff on the bike.  I would call this 224 miles of relationship building.  

Now the next thing is to figure out how to get three kids on the bike.  I'm thinking sidecar (yep, that's a Quota)! 

Guzzi Quota + Sprite [30k]



2 comments:

Das Mutter said...

Hi Mike and Kelly--I'm a friend of Dave and Sam's and we've met a handful of times. I had no idea you are expecting, much less TRIPLETS. Wow! That is so amazing, and we wish you all the best. Having two children, two years apart is one thing, but 3 at the same time is quite another. Congratulations! I'll be checking back on your blog now for sure to hear more. :)

MKAOM said...

Hey Becky, thanks for the note! Hope your two little ones are happy and healthy... M & K